02 MAR 2023; de Graafschap - Ajax; Beker Quarterfinal

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

02 MAR 2023; de Graafschap - Ajax; Beker Quarterfinal

Bericht door Orange14 » zo feb 26, 2023 8:07 pm

Ajax are on the road for the quarterfinal of the Beker. de Graafschap are in thirteenth place in the Erste Division. this should be an easy match. I would like to see Fitz-Jim and Taylor paired in the MF.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Re: 02 MAR 2023; de Graafschap - Ajax; Beker Quarterfinal

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 26, 2023 8:32 pm

Need to play some squad players Regeer and Hato or Baas at full back,Fitz-Jim in MF and up front Conceicao,Brobbey and still Bergwijn as this is the game where he can find his goalscoring again.Grillitsch to at least get some playing time.

Lucca and Sanchez wouldn't get anymore playing time from me .They add nothing and are the 1st 2 players I would get rid of at the end of the season.3rd player Wijndal no better than our own youth. Bassey can still become decent for us.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma feb 27, 2023 5:01 am

Does anyone know what the story with Grillitsch is? I see his name in the match squads often enough but he never seems to play.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma feb 27, 2023 1:17 pm

Grillitsch had been injured for a few months early last year and missed a lot of training last summer but was fit when he joined us . Played a few times as sub then picked up an injury back in the winter break. He was sought by a couple of teams at the end of the transfer deadline period and I believe 2m transfer mentioned but he decided to stay(has a 2 year option at the end of this season).Even then he did not appear on our bench until RKC game and last week v Sparta got 8 mins of action.

He seemed to have been picked up as back up to Alvarez but I dont see him getting much play time .Alvarez may pick up a suspension soon but we will then see Klaassen and Taylor plus Berghuis/Kudus as MF . I dont know much about him but he has a decent record in the Bundesliga but the playing time he has had so far does not warrant him having been signed and I find it strange he did not leave in January.

Apart from his estimated salary of 2m maybe he will still be worth the punt but rather than give him a few minutes I and probably most fans would rather see Fitz-Jim get those minutes.

Orange will know a lot more.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma feb 27, 2023 5:41 pm

Grillitsch was at Werder Bremen for several seasons and then moved on to Hoffenheim where he played under both Julian Nagelsmann (now manager of Bayern) AND Alfred Schreuder. Hoffenheim did not renew his contract and since he was transfer free, Ajax signed him, presumably at Schreuder's request. I don't know much more than that and a couple of times that I saw him play for Ajax he looked just ordinary to me. However, he might be a useful player once he is fully fit. I assume Alvarez leaves at the end of this season so Ajax may extend the contract.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di feb 28, 2023 12:46 am

Thanks for the info.

The MF is a bit of a puzzle. I was thinking about Grillitsch because of the amount of dumb fouls Alvarez makes, he’s basically guaranteed to get sent off and/or suspended sooner or later, so someone will have to play that defensive role.

I would like to see Fitz-Jim get a chance but I get the impression he’s a deep-lying, passing type of MF. I don’t know what his defensive attributes are like.

I see AS have an article about Kudus playing #8, which I think makes sense. It would result in Taylor and/or Klaassen getting benched though.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di feb 28, 2023 2:58 pm

Tom_ schreef:
di feb 28, 2023 12:46 am

I would like to see Fitz-Jim get a chance but I get the impression he’s a deep-lying, passing type of MF. I don’t know what his defensive attributes are like.
There have not been enough Jong Ajax matches on TV for me to judge his defensive abilities. I think he fits in best in a double pivot MF the way EtH used Frenkie Schone in 2019. Neither was an outstanding defensive MF and with Blind (pre-heart condition) and de Light they had two CBs who could mop up dangerous situations. Of course Pirlo was never a good defender and played as a deep lying play maker.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo mar 01, 2023 2:02 am

Yep, I would like to see that too. Preferably not with Taylor as one of the two ‘pivots’ though.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo mar 01, 2023 6:46 pm

Tom_ schreef:
wo mar 01, 2023 2:02 am
Yep, I would like to see that too. Preferably not with Taylor as one of the two ‘pivots’ though.
Just read that Taylor is suspended for YC accumulation n the previous two cup games.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Not expecting to get a stream tonight but I am not getting too excited about the Cup.PSV will win tonight and we will play them in Eindhoven in the semi.Feyenoord of course home to Spakenburg. Some fan wrote the last time Feyenoord did the double was 1983/84 but of course it was Crujff playing for them that won the double. Probably the darkest season in our history .

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 02, 2023 8:25 pm

Lineup Pasveer,Sanchez,Timber,Bassey,Hato,Grillitsch,Klaassen,Kudus,Conceicao,Brobbey ,Bergwijn

No real surprises I would have picked Regeer and Fitz-Jim and not Sanchez and Grillitsch but these are 2 first teamers.If Regeer and Fitz-Jim are not going to play games like this then when will they play!!

Regeer really should have gone to Emmen back in January when he had the chance.Fit-Jim has a contract to 2024 and is soon 20 but is not getting any playing time in our 1st.Hope he at least gets on as a sub for 30 mins tonight.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 02, 2023 9:14 pm

Really nice fist goal. Entry pass by Hato to Brobbey who crossed to Sanchez who volleyed it home!!!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm

0-2 at the half with the second by Bergwijn who cut to the middle and hit a strong shot. Kudus clanged one off the post and Brobbey had two decent shots but easy saves from the keeper. There were two goals pulled back because of off sides. Ajax have about 80% of the possession so this one should be an easy win.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 02, 2023 10:56 pm

Got a stream and ok for just over 60 mins then I couldn't get it again. Not much to say really we were in control and given the opposition this should really have been a 6 or 7-0 win and not 3-0.

From what I saw Grillitsch did nothing wrong but did nothing special and unless he is going to be given time against an Eredivisie team what purpose does he serve.Fitz-Jim gets 14 mins , not really being encouraged by the club.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 02, 2023 11:03 pm

Ajax move to the semifinals with a 0-3 win. Brobbey added a gift goal from a weak backpass by the de Graafschap defender for an easy goal. The second half was rather tepid and Ajax were still disorganized at the back on occasions. Decent game by Grillitsch who displayed some smooth and accurate passing.

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (6) - did not have much to do on the evening and his ball distribution was quite good
Sanchez (7) - got the match winner and was always in an advanced role on the right side
Timber (7) - solid match
Bassey (7) - defended well and was in the middle of a three man back line much of the time
Hato (7) - hardly put a foot wrong and was generally playing deep on the back line though he did have some good runs forward
Grillitsch (7) - very nice game, he is more a passing MF than a defender
Klaassen (6) - wasn't all that involved in the offense
Kudus (7) - had some good moves and hit a hard shot that clanged off the upright
Conceicao (6.5) - decent game but too often shot when there wasn't an opening
Brobbey (7) - solid match though the goal at the end was a gift
Berwijn (7) - finally on the scoreboard with a nice shot after cutting to the middle
Berghuis (5.5) - on for the last 20 minutes and was lively in the MF
Wijndal (5.5) - on for the last 20 minutes
Fitz-Jim (NR) - on late
Alvarez (NR) - on late
Tadic (NR) - on late

Home to NEC on Sunday

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do mar 02, 2023 11:35 pm

I only got a stream for the second half. Seemed like an easy game with Ajax cruising.

Don’t like the way Conceicao plays, too selfish. Grillitsch looks quite technical but it’s hard to judge against a club from the bottom half of the second division.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mar 03, 2023 12:49 pm

Conceicao always seems to either run into the defence ,fall over or try and shoot himself instead of passing. Quick and lively but zero end product. Not impressed by him at present but on the plus side I do think Bergwijn is coming back into form and his goal yesterday will have done his confidence wonders.

Bassey is getting better and had we paid 10m for him and not 23m there would be less criticism. Martinez struggled for the first year.

Hato is a real talent and already is as good as Wijndal. Sanchez ,a good goal but does not impress and these 2 full backs really were poor signings.

Biggest question is what do we do with Grillitsch? He looked ok but this is a mid table 2nd division side. I dont see him starting any more games unless Alvarez is suspended or injured against a small team .(Well he would start if we get Spakenburg in the semi but Feyenoord will get them at home and we will be away to PSV)

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za mar 04, 2023 3:47 pm

SPL schreef:
vr mar 03, 2023 12:49 pm
Conceicao always seems to either run into the defence ,fall over or try and shoot himself instead of passing. Quick and lively but zero end product. Not impressed by him at present but on the plus side I do think Bergwijn is coming back into form and his goal yesterday will have done his confidence wonders.
Conceicao is an interesting project. He needs to sit down and look at a bunch of videos of how Neres never got into trouble and learn from that. Neres very rarely faced two defenders, always passing the ball before he could be trapped. He also picked his chances in terms of trying to beat a defender 1 v 1. Right now Conceicao only tries to beat defenders. "If" he can figure this part of the game out he can be an effective winger.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mar 04, 2023 10:04 pm

Agree your thoughts Orange on Conceicao above

Plaats reactie