02 APR 2023; Go Ahead Eagles - Ajax; Match Day 27

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di mar 28, 2023 7:12 pm

Back to the league following the international break with a match that should be winnable.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Re: 02 APR 2023; Go Ahead Eagles - Ajax; Match Day 27

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 02, 2023 11:08 am

A must win game .Bergwijn is not fully fit so Brobbey starts. Bassey a sub and Wijndal dropped and Baas starts

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo apr 02, 2023 11:18 am

When I saw Baas was starting I assumed Sanchez was dropped. But SPL is right, he’s playing on the left and Wijndal is benched. Ouch.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo apr 02, 2023 12:09 pm

Brobbey had a great chance to score and I thought Kudus was onside on the goal that was ruled out.

In general they are unable to break down the GAE defense regularly enough, and looking vulnerable to a counter goal as usual.

One problem with playing Kudus on the right is that all Ajax’s attacks come down the left so he doesn’t get the ball.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 02, 2023 12:14 pm

A tough 45 mins so far. VAR checked the goal but the angle on the tv was not clear enough.Baas doing ok but Sanchez is poor,nearly gave away a goal.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 02, 2023 1:29 pm

A pitiful 2nd half and indeed 90 mins . Alvarez and Timber had good games,Rulli just one save to make ,Baas a good debut.

MF again non existent, Up front Tadic, Bergwijn non events and Kudus apart from the offside goal also went missing .Brobbey at least put himself around .

I think we will now finish 3rd and even 4th . Our signings from last summer are all poor and basically we could easily sell 7 out the 9 ie Kaplan has not played and Conceicao is fast but no end result but can be kept as he is a work in progress.He is no more than Young Ajax level at present.

For the cup game I will have to find a stream but have to say the cup does not excite me. Just hope we finish 2nd , but PSV and AZ drop points regularly so there is hope.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 02, 2023 1:37 pm

Maybe it is the ghost of Marc Overmars, but Ajax just cannot seem to beat his hometown club and drop more points with a 0-0 draw in Deventer. Heitinga made two good calls in starting Baas and Brobbey but should have gone much further and sat both Klaassen and Tadic who did not add much to this match. Ajax defended well enough and Rulli came up with one very big save to keep a clean sheet. Any remote chance at catching Feyenoord is now gone and Ajax need to be at their best just to stay in second place. With their tough schedule down the stretch I think third place is a more reasonable bet right now. The hail Mary substitution of Lucca continues under Heitinga and I'm not sure he is the solution to the Ajax coaching woes. The club will have a chance at redemption with the mid-week cup match in Rotterdam though I'm pessimistic that they will come away with a result there. This team just has too many weak spots right now.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (6.5) - had one tough save to make and did so but that was it other than some routine catching practice
Sanchez (5.5) - had a horrible give away early and tried to play but is so clearly limited
Timber (7) - good match and kept a calm head througout; his late header off a corner kick was too weak
Alvarez (7) - had a reckless challenge and an early YC but was strong the rest of the way
Baas (6) - decent enough game from the debutante and points out that academy players should never be overlooked
Taylor (6.5) - played as the deep lying MF and was capable enough
Berghuis (5.5) - really just a bit above average
Klaassen (5.5) - had two shots on goal and that was it; he is so hopeless with the ball at his feet
Kudus (6) - really not sure if he was off sides or not; we did not get any kind of good replay to see
Brobbey (6.5)- finally got a start and was pretty good overall forcing two saves from the GK
Tadic (5.5) - woeful until he moved to the middle for the last 20 minutes; what will it take to sit him?
Bergwijn (5) - not a factor at all coming in for Brobbey
Wijndal (5) - no impact and a waste of money
Lucca (NR) - nice enough guy with a good haircut but can't play football

I hope we are not in for 40 years of wandering in the wilderness with only manna to eat.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo apr 02, 2023 1:40 pm

Terrible result. Second spot is now in serious jeopardy as Ajax have to play PSV and AZ and have not beaten any of the top 4 this season. What a mess.

I’m also not holding my breath on the Beker. If by some bizarre chance Feyenoord don’t show up and Ajax get into the final, they would then probably have to play PSV.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo apr 02, 2023 1:46 pm

I actually thought Klaassen was OK today. He’s a limited player but at least does the basics well and makes good choices. He’s like the opposite of Berghuis, who is almost always dismal but occasionally does something great.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 02, 2023 2:23 pm

VAR could not judge on the goal, wrong angles.A freeze frame on my stream did seem to show he was just offside.The linesman was on that side and up with play and raised his flag immediately thus we must take it as no goal . Even had we scored we did nothing else in the game to deserve a win.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm

Tom_ schreef:
zo apr 02, 2023 1:46 pm
I actually thought Klaassen was OK today. He’s a limited player but at least does the basics well and makes good choices. He’s like the opposite of Berghuis, who is almost always dismal but occasionally does something great.
Berghuis had the good pass on the goal that was called off but otherwise just average. Klaassen had several occasions with the ball at his foot and just was not quick enough to see where it should go. This game really called out for a play maker in the MF but other than Fitz-Jim who has other liabilities, Ajax just does not have one.

Plaats reactie