23 APR 2023: PSV - Ajax; Beker Final

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

23 APR 2023: PSV - Ajax; Beker Final

Bericht door Orange14 » ma apr 24, 2023 3:24 pm

A chance for revenge and an automatic Europa League spot (and it pains me to write this) is on tap in the Cup final. We will see if Heitinga learned anything from yesterday other than Hato was the best player on the field according to him. I'll watch the game as I do all Ajax matches and hope for a win.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Re: 23 APR 2023: PSV - Ajax; Beker Final

Bericht door Orange14 » di apr 25, 2023 4:03 pm

My be brave or go home line up is (remember that Taylor is suspended for the game):

Rulli; Sanchez, Timber, Alvarez, Hato; Vos, Kudus (if ready to play), Berghuis; Concecao, Brobbey, Bergwijn decent pacey wingers and more quickness in the MF If Kudus cannot play, I would put either Hlynsson or Godts in the lineup

Here is what Heitinga's lineup will be:

Rulli; Sanchez, Timber, Alvarez, Hato; Grillitsch, Klassen, Berghuis; Kudus (if ready to play), Tadic, Bergwijn

it looks like from what I have read, the Cup match does not particularly matter in terms of Euro competition. If Ajax win they still have to play a qualifying round in the Europa League; if they lose and finish 3rd it is the same outcome. If they finish fourth behind AZ, they have a playoff game for the Conference League (probably the right level of this current Ajax team).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 25, 2023 7:23 pm

I too would have Conceicao starting and Vos instead of Grillitsch. Had Taylor not been suspended I doubt Grillitsch would get picked. The guy is too slow and most comments I read from pundits he is not good enough.

To finish 3rd I think a draw v AZ would be enough as we then would still be 2 points ahead of them and 2 wins and a draw from our last 3 games would be enough .

Hope we win the cup of course but like the semi win v Feyenoord it was the league games I wanted to win. Who cares about beating these teams in the cup when we have lost to them in the league.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di apr 25, 2023 11:11 pm

Winning the cup would turn up the pressure on PSV in the league. They still have to play away to AZ on the final day.

PSV probably handles pressure better right now. The disaster scenario for Ajax is losing the cup final and then losing the week after to AZ.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo apr 26, 2023 11:39 am

Losing to AZ would mean 4th place and Conference football. Finishing 3rd or winning the cup and we are in the Europa Cup playoff round so only 2 games in late August . CL its 2 rounds 4 games to qualify against tougher teams.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo apr 26, 2023 1:14 pm

SPL schreef:
wo apr 26, 2023 11:39 am
CL its 2 rounds 4 games to qualify against tougher teams.
The last time we had to do the two round qualifying, was the year they made the run to the semifinals!!!!! Unfortunately, the current team has no where near the quality as that squad.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » wo apr 26, 2023 8:37 pm

Orange14 schreef:
wo apr 26, 2023 1:14 pm
SPL schreef:
The last time we had to do the two round qualifying, was the year they made the run to the semifinals!!!!!

Not true.
The year after, even as Eredivisie League winners, we had to play two rounds of qualification against PAOK and Apoel.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr apr 28, 2023 5:40 pm

Cruijff schreef:
wo apr 26, 2023 8:37 pm
Orange14 schreef:
wo apr 26, 2023 1:14 pm
SPL schreef:
The last time we had to do the two round qualifying, was the year they made the run to the semifinals!!!!!

Not true.
The year after, even as Eredivisie League winners, we had to play two rounds of qualification against PAOK and Apoel.
Right you are. I think it was the season after that the first place team went straight into the group stage. the Dutch league had some poor Euro results and stood in 14th place in terms of UEFA coefficients. It was largely the work of Ajax that moved them up into striking distance of France. Here is the results of the 2019-20 CL and shows the coefficient table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... ons_League

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr apr 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Kudus and Rensch trained in part today but I suspect neither will be ready on Sunday.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm

Molatv dont do the cup so having problems getting a stream.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 30, 2023 5:54 pm

1-0 at the half on a shot by Bergwijn that was deflected in. HIgler is calling an absolutely horrible match, he has totally lost control and missed a number of rash challenges that were deserving of YCs. Ajax have changed up the tactics and dropping all three MFs back so there are not any gaps. Unfortunately, Klaassen is still playing and had several bad touches and a give away deep that Rulli and Timber combined to keep out of the goal. I really don't want to see him playing ever again.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo apr 30, 2023 5:57 pm

My stream is patchy too. It hasn’t been a good game from what I’ve seen. There is almost no question PSV will score if it carries on like this.

Bergwijn’s shot was off target and deflected in so we may not have had a shot on target in that half.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 30, 2023 6:01 pm

At least they are playing with much more urgency today. Other than Klaassen everyone has been well above average.

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » zo apr 30, 2023 6:07 pm

SPL schreef:
zo apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm
Molatv dont do the cup so having problems getting a stream.
I found a good one here: https://liveon.sx/program.php
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 30, 2023 6:57 pm

Into extra time as PSV get a cheap goal midway through the 2nd half.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 30, 2023 7:41 pm

ON to penalties now

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 30, 2023 7:45 pm

Stream packed up seconds before the final whistle but I am not watching pens.Hate them ,which Ajax player will miss and lose the cup.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo apr 30, 2023 7:58 pm

Well that was the season in a nutshell. Horribly bad and lose.

Get rid of Heitinga and get rid om 50% of the squad. Build from scratch.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo apr 30, 2023 8:12 pm

Ajax lose on penalties with bad misses by Brobbey (over the bar), Timber (close but off the crossbar) and Alvarez with a weak shot right at the keeper who didn't even move. This was one of the worst officiated matches I've seen this year. Higler totally not in control of the match and lots of players will have bruises on their backs from elbows that were never called. Lots of chippy plays but in the end, Ajax were again not good enough. Heitinga had the courage to bring on Godts and Vos late in the 2nd extra period and Godts was one of the two PK scorers along with Tadich. Too bad Taylor was not available, he might have made a difference. So no trophies at all this season and we will see what the position is in the league table in about four weeks.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7.5) - made one PK save and had a couple other good saves during the match
Sanchez (5) - no more than ordinary and subbed off at the half
Timber (7) - outstanding game except for the missed penalty (gotta take away a point) and played mostly in the MF when Grillitsch was subbed off
Alvarez (6.5) - very good match but his PK was horribly weak
Hato (7) - quite good and subbed off midway in the 2nd half for Wijndal
Grillitsch (4.5) - really the primary fault on the PSV goal as he had an easy intervention to make and didn't
Klaassen (3.5) - I cannot think of anything positive to say about his play
Tadic (6.5) - played as #10 today and was OK as he had less running to do
Berghuis (5) - rather ordinary match and subbed off in the 2nd half
Brobbey (6) - other than the skied penalty he had a very solid game and went 120 minutes with just some cramping at the end, had a good chance for the 2nd Ajax goal but hit the upright
Bergwijn (7) - worked tirelessly until being subbed off
Rensch (4.5) - 2nd to Grillitsch as fault on the PSV goal by some inept defending but otherwise OK
Bassey (6) - had a very good spell coming on but at that point PSV were tired and not pressing so he didn't have to deal with pressure
Wijndal (5.5) - a shade above average for a player who has no future with this club
Conceicao (6) - added a lot of speed to the right side when he came in and PSV had to double team him to prevent him from getting to the goal line but he didn't force things
Vos (NR) -on late for Klaassen and should have been on a lot earlier
Godts (NR) - on late for Bergwijn who was out of gas

Other than playing Klaassen, Heitinga got the tactics right narrowing the space between the lines so PSV could not easily pass into space. I'm still not convinced he is the guy right now but I'm not sure that other than Wim Jonk there is anyone else.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo apr 30, 2023 9:30 pm

Watched from about 30th min.Grillitsch was woeful on their goal can now be told he can leave next month and Wijndal ,Bassey and Lucca can go also of last summers poor signings.

Ajax did ok today and it was a shame we could not draw 1-1 last week.Must get a draw v AZ next week to keep ahead of them and 7 points from our final 3 games will be enough for 3rd place.

Evidently Arsenal and Brighton want Rensch and Brighton were the club who offered 23m for Bassey back in January.Any offer over 20m and Rensch can go , he is no better than Sanchez.Just give Regeer or Gooijer from Jong Ajax games at RB ,neither would do any worse.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma mei 01, 2023 11:14 am

I don’t ever want to hear the name Bergwijn again after he ran off doing flappy seagull arms instead of tapping the ball into an empty net for 2-0. One of you will have to let me know when it’s safe to watch again.

Seriously, can he play for Ajax again after that?

Plaats reactie