06 MAY 2023; Ajax - AZ; Match Day 31

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

06 MAY 2023; Ajax - AZ; Match Day 31

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mei 01, 2023 1:33 pm

Ajax can come close to clinching at least 3rd place with a win over AZ this Saturday. PSV have a tricky away fixture at Sparta. Third place will mean going into the Europa League play in as PSV won the cup match yesterday. Things are still tight between the 2, 3, and 4th place teams and any stumble can change the order.

Let's hope Ajax can play with the passion they did yesterday.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Re: 06 MAY 2023; Ajax - AZ; Match Day 31

Bericht door SPL » ma mei 01, 2023 3:20 pm

Taylor for Grillitsch ,Rensch for Sanchez and Conceicao for Berghuis unless Kudus is fit.
Grillitsch,Wijndal,Sanchez and Lucca dont even need to be subs anymore just get rid of them.

Bassey should still get a few minutes,not sure he is so bad as Timber has not shone this season.Vos can get a good 30 mins for Klaassen and Godts give him 20 mins for Bergwijn.

Another complete clear out has to be done this summer,mainly the rubbish signings from last summer plus Klaassen and Berghuis,neither good enough to start.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr mei 05, 2023 7:09 pm

Kudus and Rensch have trained all week long and are healthy enough for tomorrow's game. I'm going to have to watch the replay as I will be up in New York for my wife's mother's birthday (99).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za mei 06, 2023 3:08 am

Enjoy the birthday. Kickoff is 5 am on Sunday here so I may watch it on delay too.

So important for Ajax to win this. I am hoping for Tadic on the left, Kudus on the right and Brobbey at CF.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mei 06, 2023 7:02 pm

Rensch Taylor,Kudus for Sanchez,Grilltisch and injured Berghuis.Thats the best lineup we can put out with 6 summer signings on the bench, summing up how poor they are.Conceicao can stay but the others can go.
A win will make 3rd place certain and put pressure on PSV.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mei 06, 2023 10:07 pm

Not many on this page . We had chances mainly Bergwijn but could not get the goal.At least we did not lose and we are 2 points ahead of them so 7 points from our final 3 games for 3rd,we can get a draw and still get 3rd.

Bergwijn and Brobbey worked hard so did Taylor but Klaassen adds nothing and Tadic is no more than ok.Hato a decent game and played at Cd at the end which is his actual position.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mei 07, 2023 1:47 am

I watched the replay. Ajax were unlucky not to have scored. I agree with what SPL wrote. MF is still bad when Klaassen plays Weirdly, Alvarez was better in the 2nd half when he moved to the MF. Tadic is really fading. I'll post ratings when I get home tomorrow.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo mei 07, 2023 2:53 am

Media are taking about Ajax not winning big games in the eredivisie. If you count the JC schaal, the cup, the 4 matches against Liverpool and Napoli and the EL round I make that 15 “top” matches with only one win against Feyenoord in the cup semi. Not to mention all the dropped points against mid level sides.

It’s just been an awful season from a team with none of the qualities we usually like to see in Ajax.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mei 07, 2023 11:50 am

Ajax should have played more kids in the 2nd half of the season,although 6 of last nights starters are from the academy. Clearly Hato is not ready to play a full season but he is better than Wijndal and when Alvarez moved to MF Hato played at CD ,his proper position from youth .He looked very comfortable as AZ are a good team.

Fitz-Jim should have been given playing time and Regeer at RB. Sanchez is a poor defender but I cannot really say Rensch is any better.Fitz-Jim and Regeer now need a season on loan as they cannot stay here wasting their time in Jong Ajax and stuck on our bench with odd games.Looking at Jong only Vos and probably Misehouy and Godts will be ready for 1st team action but like Hato not ready for a full season.

We are not going to get CL football next season and cannot spend 100m again on poor signing.We need to look in South America for good cheap talent.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo mei 07, 2023 1:07 pm

I think that’s right. In hindsight we shouldn’t have expected much from this group of players. It certainly hasn’t been fun to watch though.

As for next season… I guess we could lose our best remaining footballers, Timber and Kudus. I’m sure Alvarez will go too but I don’t particularly rate him. On the plus side I am hoping some of the younger players will be ready for Ajax 1. We will have to wait and see how the team looks.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo mei 07, 2023 4:10 pm

I am optimistic about next year. I think some youth players will surprise us

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo mei 07, 2023 7:37 pm

Ajax must get a coach with Ajax DNA although I fear we will get a German.They need to appoint a coach asap and before the season ends.They can then confirm to get rid of Bassey,Lucca and Grillitsch and decide what to do with Klaassen and Tadic next season as both should no longer be starters.Sanchez and Wijndal may get another season although poor signings both decent cover.

A lot of movement in the summer but lets see some Ajax kids getting more playing time it is what we are famous for.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mei 08, 2023 12:53 am

Back home from New York and here is my take on the match. I though Ajax had the better of the play and were unfortunate with two shots that clanged off the cross bar and several other near misses. The defense held up OK and Rulli helped out with at least two really sharp saves. Ajax had real troubles playing out from the back in the first half. Alvarez was very tentative and constantly pressured by AZ. In the absence of Berghuis, Klaassen, Tadic and Taylor were the MFs to start the game. Of course this is a recipe for disaster as Klaassen is very poor with the ball and Tadic is really slow these days which is a problem for a MF. Taylor is not a defensive MF. Heitinga changed things up in the 2nd half when it was apparent that Kudus was not match fit, putting in Wijndall, moving Hato to CB and Alvarez back to the MF. With two good ball handling center backs, the problem was partially solved. I thought Brobbey played very well making some good runs and using his strength very well; he shot when he had the chance and that's what you want with a striker. Bergwijn also had a fine game.

Unfortunately, PSV scored in the 70th minute to down Sparta and pick up another two points on Ajax. Ajax have some tricky fixtures ahead and really need to win out to make sure of finishing 3rd and getting a Europa League spot.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7) - solid match and he had to deal with a lot of back passes in the first half
Rensch (5.5) - still not convincing and was subbed off after70 minutes
Timber (7.5) - had a solid all around game
Alvarez (5.5) - uncomfortable playing on the back line and did better in the MF
Hato (7.5) - rock solid and you could see the difference in the 2nd half with a good ball handling CB; he's the Paolo Maldini of Ajax
Taylor (6) - not helpful at all in the first half and better in the 2nd
Klaassen (4.5) - just not good enough these days
Tadic (5.5) - barely above average and someone else should be taking free kicks; his were all over the place
Kudus (4.5) - had one shot in the first half that went wide left and was subbed off at the half probably for lack of fitness
Brobbey (6.5) - a really good game and he's finally being given time to show if he has what it takes
Bergwijn (7.5) - dangerous all night long
Wijndal (6) - pretty decent and had a couple good overlaps and crosses
Conceicao (NR) - on late and I don't remember if he even had a touch
Sanchez (NR) - also on late

Away to Groningen next Sunday who are official relegated as of yesterday.

Plaats reactie