30 NOV 2023; Marseille - Ajax; Europa Group 5

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: 30 NOV 2023; Marseille - Ajax; Europa Group 5

Bericht door Orange14 » vr dec 01, 2023 2:42 pm

I don't know if these highlights are geo-blocked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6mBZzed_o You can see both penalty calls clearly on the replays and I think the first one is clearly a poor call and the second marginally poor. Didn't we have an Italian referee in the infamous Chelsea Champions League match several years ago when there were two Red Cards on the same play (both Veltman and Blind getting sent off)? both the penalty calls were weak and VAR really won't intervene unless there is something clear and obvious. Had each of these plays taken place in the EPL, I doubt penalties would be called. Quite frankly, he made bad calls on a bunch of plays during the match.

Ramaj clearly made a stupid play and maybe his teammates did yell loud enough that the ball was headed out. It looks like he misjudged the ball and at a minimum should have pushed the ball over the end line. Of course the way Ajax defends corner kicks, that might not have been a successful strategy. :biggrin.gif: Of the first team GKs,I think he is the best option at present. Rulli is certainly no better. Pasveer just had knee surgery and is out until after the winter break and Gorter is still out injured as well. I'm not sure Setford is ready for the first team (I've seen articles about English interest for both of the Setfords).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr dec 01, 2023 3:56 pm

Van't Schip seems to be protecting Martha from European games. Maybe trying to keep his game load low. I have no idea as Martha wouldn't have done any worse than Sosa yesterday.

I do agree that both penalties were wrong/extremely soft.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr dec 01, 2023 4:00 pm

Orange14 schreef:
vr dec 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Ramaj clearly made a stupid play and maybe his teammates did yell loud enough that the ball was headed out. It looks like he misjudged the ball and at a minimum should have pushed the ball over the end line.
I think he was trying to keep the ball in, so that he could get it out to our players quicker than with a goal-kick. He failed at executing that and then in a fit of panic took a swipe at the ball.

It's the classic Ajax quandary. Do you manage the game and play it out since we already had a draw OR do you take risks and try to get the win. A draw/loss meant the same things in terms of staying in the Europa League. However a draw would have helped with the Dutch co-efficient.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr dec 01, 2023 6:09 pm

And also one more thing - why the heck is Rensch playing RCB and not Medic? I know Medic isn't a great defender either, but I think he's still better than Rensch at that position.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr dec 01, 2023 7:10 pm

Amol schreef:
vr dec 01, 2023 6:09 pm
And also one more thing - why the heck is Rensch playing RCB and not Medic? I know Medic isn't a great defender either, but I think he's still better than Rensch at that position.
Medic is poor on the ball and mistake prone. Rensch actually had one of the better games and van't Schip singled him out. He also came through the youth as a CB and moved to FB 4 years ago.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr dec 01, 2023 8:28 pm

Like Avila what on earth is Medic doing at Ajax. Rensch replaces Sutalo so clearly Medic like Avila has zero future here. Medic can go in January but Avila played for Antwerp so has to sit out the season.As I have said before easy to say who to sell but they are all on 5 year contracts so Ajax probably will have to accept a lot less transfer fees.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za dec 02, 2023 3:51 am

I don’t mind Rensch at CD. I think this will be fine in most Eredivisie games. He’s better on the ball than Sutalo which is not a great compliment for Sutalo!

Another positive is Brobbey who has been excellent in the last two games he’s played. Super holding up and laying off the ball, quick, good positioning, strong shot with left and right foot.

He does get short changed by refs and he has to stop picking up cards as a result. I totally understand his frustration but if you get a card for yelling at the ref you’re playing right into the opponent’s plan.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » zo dec 03, 2023 10:17 pm

I agree that Rensch is better on the ball than Medic, but he's non-existent with with heading ability. He's a total liability on corners.

Plaats reactie