03 FEB 2024; Ajax - PSV; Match Day 20

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo jan 28, 2024 2:14 pm

League leaders visit Amsterdam next Saturday. This should be a good test of how much van't Schip has done to right the ship. Ajax are still frail defensively and maybe Jordan Henderson can help out here.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 03, 2024 3:17 am

I’m not very hopeful about this game. PSV are good at pressing so if Ajax try to build up from the back they will get themselves into trouble. Our build up play has been awful all season but maybe Henderson will be the difference.

I think the best chance would be to set up defensively and play direct passes to Brobbey but that’s not Ajax football and I doubt they will do it.

SPL

Re: 03 FEB 2024; Ajax - PSV; Match Day 20

Bericht door SPL » za feb 03, 2024 7:04 pm

Bergwijn back, Henderson for Tahirovic,and with Sutalo back Rensch now LB. I will be delighted with a draw.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 03, 2024 8:51 pm

Wow, what a first half. Henderson makes everyone so much better. Interesting that England manager Southgate is at this match. Of course Luuk de Jong had to score to ruin things for us. Great play by Brobbey on the goal. Ajax defense is doing just enough but needs to steel up in the 2nd half.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 03, 2024 8:54 pm

They *are* set up defensively and it’s mostly working. Only the one real chance given away. If they can keep it tight in the second half this game could go either way.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 03, 2024 9:56 pm

Not going to complain about that. Credit to van t’ Schip for setting up with the midfielders sitting tight in front of the defense and not trying to pressure the ball. It definitely helped keep the number of chances down.

Henderson also made a big difference. By my count he didn’t give the ball away once which is a novel statistic for an Ajax midfielder this season.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 03, 2024 10:07 pm

Great game and a draw a fair result. Henderson made a big difference and was clearly captain on the pitch. Going to make a big difference to our game as the defence was better tonight.Sutalo and Sosa no complaints . Gooijer another teenage prospect and looks good.

Taylor still hit and miss and Bergwijn is not good enough we must get rid of him in the summer and he is no captain.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za feb 03, 2024 10:11 pm

Have to say that a draw was a fair result for this one. Both teams had chances to win it in the 2nd half and came up short. Other than the goal by de Jong who got in a huge space when Ajax were not in shape, the defense did enough. Lots of blocked shots and Bamayoko was well defended all match long. Henderson was such a big difference maker on the night with coolness on the ball and directing players throughout. Had we had him earlier in the season, things would be a lot different. Twente won today so we drop a little but further behind them but with PSV out of the way, the schedule all of the sudden might be favorable.

Player Ratings:

Ramaj (7) - decent match and he made some key saves
Goojier (6.5)- had one poor turnover but was otherwise pretty solid until coming off with cramps
Dutalo (7) - solid defending and one of those made better by the Ajax #6
Hato (7.5) - Cal Ripken stream miraculously continues with a super performance only marred by an early YC
Rensch (6) - had one horrendous play deep inside Ajax territory that was saved by Hato but had to come off with a leg injury
Henderson (8) - rock solid game in front of England manager Southgate
Taylor (6.5) - worked really hard all match long and had two shots on goal, one that was good and one that was skied over the crossbar but remained solid on defense
Hlynsson (6) - tirelessly pressed throughout the match but could not have much of an impact on offense
Berghuis (7.5) - had a solid match and the goal was well taken after setting up Brobbey and then running to the open spot
Brobbey (7.5) - consistently held the ball up well and had some good passing
Bergwijn (6) - had a better defensive game than on offense
Sosa (7.5) - for someone who can't defend, he pretty much marked Bamyoko out of the match
Tahirovic (6) - on for Berghuis and was decent
Gaaei (NR) - on late for Goojier and whistled for a phantom foul when he looked to beat the PSV defender

Heerenveen away next Sunday and then home to Bodo/Glimt in the Conference League

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za feb 03, 2024 10:12 pm

SPL - I said I wouldn’t complain but Bergwijn looked like he got bored halfway through the second half and was just standing and watching. I’m really not a fan either.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 03, 2024 10:25 pm

I am very pleased with the performance and result but only moan was Bergwijn .Offensively poor again. I moan about all the summer signings etc but 30m for Bergwijn looks about 20m too much. Produced little since coming and Henderson must be made captain. Doing today what Tadic did as captain.

Today was our best performance of the season , we are still 6 behind Twente but with 14to play I am confident we will finish 3rd

Plaats reactie