Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

24 Apr 2005: Ajax - De Graafschap

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 18, 2005 8:16 am

The next one!

Of course, the most important remaining game is now Thursday's Amstel Cup semi-final at Willem, but we already had a thread for that one (HERE to be precise).

After that a series of 'easier' games will follow for Ajax, starting with De Graafschap at home. But hey... Feyenoord thought Den Bosch were easy (we, too, beat them in the last minute) and we also thought Den Haag were going to be easy. So let's take this one seriously anyway...

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Re: 24 Apr 2005: Ajax - De Graafschap

Bericht door aveslacker » ma apr 18, 2005 9:16 am

Kowalczyk schreef:The next one!

Of course, the most important remaining game is now Thursday's Amstel Cup semi-final at Willem, but we already had a thread for that one (HERE to be precise).

After that a series of 'easier' games will follow for Ajax, starting with De Graafschap at home. But hey... Feyenoord thought Den Bosch were easy (we, too, beat them in the last minute) and we also thought Den Haag were going to be easy. So let's take this one seriously anyway...

K.
Yes, I would say that the biggest problem the squad faces now is a potential hangover from Sunday's match, combined with underestimating the opposition. Hope that doesn't happen.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 18, 2005 10:04 am

aveslacker schreef:Yes, I would say that the biggest problem the squad faces now is a potential hangover from Sunday's match, combined with underestimating the opposition. Hope that doesn't happen.
Exactly. In addition to that: the De Graafschap game is three days after the cup game at Willem II. Ajax will surely take that one seriously, as it is their only remaining chance to actually win something tangible (as in: a piece of silverware, even though it is the hideous 'Silver Pineapple').

There is a chance that Ajax we will face De Graafschap after a very good game against AZ, a euphoric win at Feyenoord and with a ticket to the cup final in our pockets. In that case it will be tough to motivate the team for De Graafschap at home. Which will ne necessary. In, say, the last four or five weeks of the season it is actually much tougher to play against the bottom teams than the one from the centre group, who are pretty much finished for this season.

It's always a rather odd moment in the season: the first games that really are about nothing anymore. Nothing at stake. Roda vs Utrecht was such a game this weekend, the first meaningless fixture of the season: they will never go down, but they won't qualify for the UEFA. It gives a footie fan the season that we're almost there.

I predict that the games against RKC and Groningen will be easier for Ajax than the ones against De Graafschap and RBC Roosendaal. The latter two teams will fight for every inch and hold on to a 0-0 like a pitbull. You will actually need to come up with a good, sppedy attack if you want to score against them. They are fighting for survival and their careers. The RKC and Groningen players will be pretty indifferent by the time they come to the ArenA. They'll be worrying about the availability of flights to Tenerife or Ibiza more than anything else.

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma apr 18, 2005 7:40 pm

If Danny Blind needs any kind of incentive to get his players prepared for the 5 league dogfights to go, he could start by printing a copy of the present standings and reminding that lads that the CL qualifying place,hoisting the pineapple,etc..could all go away thru lack of focus and ONE bad result in 6.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » zo apr 24, 2005 4:21 pm

well a wins a win 1-0 Yannis, i should have watch'ed the game but ESPN is so full of ...... well shite that they decided to repeat the amstel cup game against Willem II.

Sheeeeshhhhhh

In the end its three points and four points clear in second place.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo apr 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Question: how many times have we now struggled against shit opposition in home games...? (Den Bosch, Den Haag, NEC...)

Anyways: it's a shit season, that won't change anymore, so I guess it's all about the points and nothing but the points. And we've got those. All three of 'em.

Very nice moment: when Anastasiou scored he ran straight to David Endt, who gave him Maxwell's shirt. The team kept it up when they celebrated the goal, dedicating it to Maxwell. Nice one (but otherwise...).

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma apr 25, 2005 9:38 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Question: how many times have we now struggled against shit opposition in home games...? (Den Bosch, Den Haag, NEC...)

Anyways: it's a shit season, that won't change anymore, so I guess it's all about the points and nothing but the points. And we've got those. All three of 'em.

Very nice moment: when Anastasiou scored he ran straight to David Endt, who gave him Maxwell's shirt. The team kept it up when they celebrated the goal, dedicating it to Maxwell. Nice one (but otherwise...).

K.
I think that makes it five times this season that we've won with a goal in the last five minutes.....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Match report is up!

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 25, 2005 9:59 am

Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma apr 25, 2005 2:41 pm

Ko as always is the eloquent one, the master with words. Here is the alternative match report from a sun-tanned supporter.

The players who turned out yesterday in the famous red and white were an absolute f*****g disgrace to the club and its history. They were absolutely pathetic against a team arguably that Braintree Town would beat in their sleep.
I felt that this was the worst game of the season but our fellow attendees felt that I was wrong and games against the likes of Den Bosch, ADo etc. were far worse. All I can say is that I must have had far less beer before the match yesterday than I normally do and therefore watched Ajax for the first time through sober eyes.
The only thing worse than the football yesterday was Pizza 5 and Ko trying to do impressions of folk singers - guys don't give up your day job.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma apr 25, 2005 3:10 pm

How do you really feel? Stop mincing words, man! :eusa_dance:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 25, 2005 3:41 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:I felt that this was the worst game of the season but our fellow attendees felt that I was wrong and games against the likes of Den Bosch, ADO etc. were far worse.
Hang on a minute... Seems like you had enough Jupiler before the game after all. We did say that Den Bosch and ADO at home were worse (and Twente, for that matter), but you are representing our words in such a way that it seems like we were defending Ajax's performance. As in: "Come on, OPH, it wasn't too bad a game actually. The Den Bosch and ADO ones were far worse."

In reality, though, we were making a cynical, very sad statement: the only reason why this wasn't the by far worst game of the season is the fact that we've seen a few even worse ones.

At least there were some moments yesterday: red card (which means they were, somehow, brought into the position where they had to mow one of our lads down), three goals disallowed, shot that hit the post, etc. Against Twente, Den Bosch and Den Haag we created f**k all. Alright, Twente and Den Haag are better teams that De Graafschap, but Den Bosch aren't. That game, for sure, was even worse.

Anyways - gotta go. Off to my weekly singing rehearsal. Pizza 5, Jock Cloggie, AFCA Madnezz and myself are practising a song which we intned to sing at the next birthday party of an acquaintance of ours. Goes something like this:

"Over Pasanen's Head, I will wear the green willow,
And Over Pasanen's Head, for a twelve-month and a day.
And if anyone should ask me the reason why I'm wearing it,
It's all for my true love who's far, far, away"

Etc. Very catchy tune, I must say.

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie