14 Mar 2006: FC Internazionale - Ajax

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ajaxperu

Bericht door ajaxperu » di mar 14, 2006 11:57 pm

It's over but it ended better than last year. Ajax didn't create any real danger on Inter's goal. Huntelaar was well marked and he didn't get any good passes so there was nothing he could do. I liked Rosenberg's attitude in the game. He fought for every ball and always tried to get to the goal. I thought Maduro played pretty well in the defense too. What bothers me is that I would have liked seeing Urby on the left today I think he would have given that extra boost our attack needed tonight. Hope his injury is not serious.

Well, Ajax had more possesion but no chances of scoring. The team was organized and carefull and thats how you have to be when you play in the San Siro. I would have liked seeing a bit more aggresiveness but without Sneijder our chances were pretty much over. We leave the Champions League with our heads up, we did everything we could with a team that was hunted by injuries (we should start a thread about the injury problem by the way). Let's keep on going, the future is bright for Ajax I'm sure about it :xyxthumbs:

dws

Bericht door dws » wo mar 15, 2006 12:06 am

bryan schreef:Inter are a shoddy team of prima donna has beens.

I didn't expect Ajax to win tonight, but they could have shown a bit of spine.
Inter are in third place in Serie A, 6 points clear of Fiorentina and just 2 points behind Milan. I don't think this is the achievement of a shoddy team of prima donna has beens.

I don't think Ajax lacked spine. Inter were just too strong for a relatively inexperienced and injury hit Ajax .

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mar 15, 2006 5:40 am

Inter totally deserved the win and in all honesty it could have been 3-0. Esp in the first 35min or so of the game. Full credit to Inter, they could have sat back, but instead came out firing and really only sat back a little after their goal, but even then they never really looked like losing.

The boys can hold their heads up though. It could have been 3-0, but it wasn't. With a bit more experience (our squad has none compared to Inter – for God’s sake, look at the difference in experience on each bench!) we could have won the first leg, which may have made all the difference.

I am still holding hope for next season. I think the boys are really showing some potential and things are finally starting to gel. Whether it be UEFA Cup or Champions League I think next season we can have a real shot.

In regards to the players, for me none did "really" poorly, although Vermaelen was shown up for skill and pace again. Trabelsi showed what he can be capable of and Rosenberg is starting to really surprise me as a winger. He's starting to get some great first touches happening and he always seems to be in the right spots up front (now if only the midfield would look up and see him free half the time…)

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » wo mar 15, 2006 7:23 am

Rosenberg surprised me as a winger too...

...by staying away from the wing so Juanfran had to deliver the crosses.
Laatst gewijzigd door 666 op wo mar 15, 2006 7:25 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Frans

Bericht door Frans » wo mar 15, 2006 7:25 am

DanK schreef: Full credit to Inter, they could have sat back, but instead came out firing and really only sat back a little after their goal, but even then they never really looked like losing.
Isn't it the weirdest thing. Ajax needed the win, but they were the ones who came out to defend.

From Uefa.com

"Our plan was to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible and hope to score late in the game. I'm satisfied that we kept the game goalless for quite a while."
- Danny Blind

Now, I know some people on this board were also of the view that this was the way Ajax should look to do it, but I remain unconvinced. By sitting back it merely allowed Inter to establish themselves in the game, and by the time Ajax looked to get forward Inter were so in control they were never going to be beaten. If Ajax had gotten forward early and nicked a goal, Inter would have had to chase the game and Ajax could have played on the counter.

Of course, it all would have been different if Ajax had rightly been awarded a penalty for Materazzi's handball..........

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mar 15, 2006 9:13 am

666 schreef:Rosenberg surprised me as a winger too...

...by staying away from the wing so Juanfran had to deliver the crosses.
LOL. So your not impressed by Markus then. :D

I do think though that he is working well (not as a true winger - agreed) on the left side. At least him and KJH seem to be keeping out of each others way. He's been the best player on the left wing all season, and I must say I thought once Blind moved him out there, he would become another Babel.

To his credit he has lifted his overall game since being pushed aside so to speak.
Laatst gewijzigd door DanK op wo mar 15, 2006 9:18 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mar 15, 2006 9:18 am

Frans schreef:...Of course, it all would have been different if Ajax had rightly been awarded a penalty for Materazzi's handball..........
Hmm. I'm not convinced it should have been a penalty. There was no way he could have gotten his arm out of the way (at least that was my inital thought). I thought Inter's penalty could have also gone either way.

The only thing I can think of here is that the ball hit Lindenbergh directly, whereas Materazzi's deflected onto his arm. Either way though, Inter deserved the win, but for once I would have loved to have seen them go down in the last min. Make up for all those times the Italian teams have done it to the Dutch. Must be up to 51 times or so now ;)

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mar 15, 2006 9:49 am

Emanuelson was one key player missing too many
Appie, stay strong !

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » wo mar 15, 2006 9:54 am

DanK schreef:
Frans schreef:...Of course, it all would have been different if Ajax had rightly been awarded a penalty for Materazzi's handball..........
Hmm. I'm not convinced it should have been a penalty. There was no way he could have gotten his arm out of the way (at least that was my inital thought). I thought Inter's penalty could have also gone either way.

The only thing I can think of here is that the ball hit Lindenbergh directly, whereas Materazzi's deflected onto his arm. Either way though, Inter deserved the win, but for once I would have loved to have seen them go down in the last min. Make up for all those times the Italian teams have done it to the Dutch. Must be up to 51 times or so now ;)
C'mon - if Lindenbergh was penalized for sliding with hands up then the Materazzi should be as well. On the one hand both instances were ball to hand and on the other hand both players had their arms in unnatural positions. Those are both technical definitions for awarding or not awarding a penalty. But either way, they should have had the same outcome. The inconsistency in referring is killing me these days. I’ll be first to say refs are only humans and the odd incorrect offside is just part of the game, but at least have the decency to give the players a fair playing field by calling the game consistently. Jees!
I thought Ajax put up a good effort. I love watching Trabelsi rip up the right side. Am I the only one that noticed how Ajax’ long balls were too high for JKH to reach them. He should have been played in the chest or on the ground rather having to enter a pole jumping contests every time he received a pass.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mar 15, 2006 10:06 am

Internazionale Ajax
1 Goals scored 0
0 Yellow card 1
0 Red card 0
6 Shots on goal 3
6 Shots wide 6
16 Fouls committed 16
3 Corners 4
1 Offsides 0
25' 23'' Ball. Poss. (time) 34' 13''
42% Ball. Poss. (%) 58%
Appie, stay strong !

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 15, 2006 10:16 am

And? 58% op pure senseless posession...Van Gaal would be proud.

Frans

Bericht door Frans » wo mar 15, 2006 10:35 am

philippe schreef:Internazionale Ajax
1 Goals scored 0
0 Yellow card 1
0 Red card 0
6 Shots on goal 3
6 Shots wide 6
16 Fouls committed 16
3 Corners 4
1 Offsides 0
25' 23'' Ball. Poss. (time) 34' 13''
42% Ball. Poss. (%) 58%
There's lies, damned lies, and... etc

Porto Artmedia
2 Goals scored 3
2 Yellow card 5
0 Red card 0
12 Shots on goal 3
14 Shots wide 1
19 Fouls committed 23
13 Corners 1
1 Offsides 2
31' 44'' Ball. Poss. (time) 17' 36''
65% Ball. Poss. (%) 35%

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 15, 2006 10:37 am

Oh yeah. Next to Louis, Co would be proud too. :xyxthumbs:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo mar 15, 2006 12:22 pm

The penalty was a farce and should never have been given BUT having given it we should have had the penalty awarded.

We did not look like scoring but I was pleased that we kept it to 1 goal.

Only comment on a defender is that Juanfran is not in the same league as Urby. He is not good enough at attacking or crossing and in the first half he was being beaten for speed,well Figo was getting by him which he did not do against Urby. Urby was badly missed.

I think we all know our midfield is not good enough especially at this level.

Rosenberg was trying and working hard but was taken off.We then ended up with 3 strikers but no winger and they were not getting any service.

Considering our injuries I think we have done well overall in these 2 games.
And of course we have that first half in Amsterdam when we played superbly.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo mar 15, 2006 1:44 pm

i don't know who compiled those stats, but inter had way more than six shots on goal

or do defenders desperately jumping in the way of shots not count as a "shot on goal"?

dws

Bericht door dws » wo mar 15, 2006 2:03 pm

bryan schreef:i don't know who compiled those stats, but inter had way more than six shots on goal

or do defenders desperately jumping in the way of shots not count as a "shot on goal"?
statistics :pukey:

Teams compile their own stats in Rugby. They never match the official stats.

The only stat that matters is goals scored. Inter got one goal and we didn't get any. :xyxthumbs:

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » wo mar 15, 2006 2:11 pm

:headbang: :headbang:
So it's over for another year, but at least we got further, (time wise) than those over paid primadonas from London, you know, those SH*TS at shhh, Chelsea.
With all the money that "Portugese Git" has had to spend, they couldn't show the same team spirit as Ajax over the two legs. don't forgetthat we were missing quite a few key players and, despite the [revious opposition being against lower league Dutch teams, the team has shown a growth in confidence.
Confidence breeds success, and this is what WILL happen! We'll breeze through the play-offs and in the "Champions" League again next season, and who knows....we might get even closer!
Just believe in the players and celebrate what they have achieved; proof that they are one of the top ten clubs in Europe, even though going through a transition period.
OUR TIME WILL COME!!!
:xyxthumbs: :xyxthumbs:
34 will always be with us

dws

Bericht door dws » wo mar 15, 2006 2:42 pm

SaddlerIan wrote:
celebrate what they have achieved; proof that they are one of the top ten clubs in Europe

I think the above deserves a much loved/loathed John McEnroe expression : YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!! :D

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo mar 15, 2006 4:09 pm

Just back from Milan.

I would say with the team we had out they did a bloody marvelous job at still being in with a shout for the vast majority of the match. The midfield was just too lightweight to withstand heavy pressure. However, we could have played till the cows came home and never scored.
Pienaar was my man of the match and absolutely ran Veron off his feet. The local Corra reckoned good old rubber legs was man of the match. Certainly didn't think that especially after the howler of a mistake which released Inter to score their winner. However, I have seen him play a heck of a lot worse.

As Ian said, we should be proud of them - they gave their all, it just wasn't quite enough.

Hup Ajax

BTW Philippe I didn't notice Inter defending a one goal lead like you predicted they would.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mar 15, 2006 7:33 pm

it seemed to me that they were quite satisfied with 1-0, and that's one of the reasons why we got 58% ball possession
Appie, stay strong !

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo mar 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Steef schreef:And? 58% op pure senseless posession...Van Gaal would be proud.
I thought you would keep quiet after sunday's game, but maybe that's why you seem to like inter : they are on their way to another season with no trophy, just like feyhnodr

you can be proud
Appie, stay strong !

dws

Bericht door dws » wo mar 15, 2006 7:45 pm

philippe schreef:
Steef schreef:And? 58% op pure senseless posession...Van Gaal would be proud.
I thought you would keep quiet after sunday's game, but maybe that's why you seem to like inter : they are on their way to another season with no trophy, just like feyhnodr

you can be proud
I'm sure Steef is feeling the pain of all those missed chances. :D :xyxthumbs:

AjaxPDX

Bericht door AjaxPDX » wo mar 15, 2006 8:46 pm

philippe schreef:it seemed to me that they were quite satisfied with 1-0, and that's one of the reasons why we got 58% ball possession
Ajax had 62% possession in the first half, when it was 0-0, so their overall possession actually went DOWN in the second half after Inter scored.

I personally don't think possession statistics mean too much (Ajax lost, after all), but I'm just stating it for clarification.

I haven't seen the match, so can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but everything I've read and heard indicates that Inter did not play overly defensively.

dws

Bericht door dws » wo mar 15, 2006 9:08 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:
philippe schreef:it seemed to me that they were quite satisfied with 1-0, and that's one of the reasons why we got 58% ball possession
Ajax had 62% possession in the first half, when it was 0-0, so their overall possession actually went DOWN in the second half after Inter scored.

I personally don't think possession statistics mean too much (Ajax lost, after all), but I'm just stating it for clarification.

I haven't seen the match, so can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but everything I've read and heard indicates that Inter did not play overly defensively.
In the first half Inter was completely and utterly dominant. Only on rare occasions was Ajax able to venture into the Inter half.

In the second half, after Stankovic had scored, Inter was content with limiting the space within which Ajax tried to operate. Inter may not have continued to overwhelm Ajax, but remained in firm control of the contest.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mar 15, 2006 9:12 pm

AjaxPDX schreef:
I saw the whole thing on TV - after near disaster - De Hems, the Dutch bar weren't showing it, either because they have been banned from showing live games from Dutch TV or because the satelite was down, not sure which as they gave both reasons! - anyway, I'm not normally one for all this tactical analysis and that (no posts like that from me) but I can definately confirm that Inter did not seem in any way defensive - even after they scored.

Agree also that possession doesn't mean much, after all, that's part of the magic of the game. If it came down to possession and 'quality' alone then teams like Ajax would have no chance against the 'bigger' teams from Italy/Spain etc.....58% possession, all very nice but they got one more goal and that's the only one that means very much.

Not a bad game though despite that.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Plaats reactie