20 Apr 2006: Ajax - Feyenoord

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

20 Apr 2006: Ajax - Feyenoord

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo apr 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Okay, so we're 4th -- and we're in the play-offs.

How about this little fix of footie then?

K.
Still alive...

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo apr 16, 2006 8:35 pm

I don't have a good feeling about this.

But hey, Ajax-feyenoord is always a game on its own.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo apr 16, 2006 8:42 pm

So we have to beat Feyenoord and AZ over four legs to get into the Champions League?

Somebody call Tom Cruise.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo apr 16, 2006 9:00 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:I don't have a good feeling about this.
Me neither. I know it's a knock-out round, I know everything's possible and that, but still... I see no reason to be genuinely optimistic and I would have preferred not to play them. These games can make for a euphoric ending to a very poor season, but they can also make it darker than ever.

The ironic thing is: we have a bad feeling about this, but I am convinced the same goes for F-word...
bryan schreef:So we have to beat Feyenoord and AZ over four legs to get into the Champions League?
Yeah. We're very close to the CL now, aren't we. All we have to do is beat Feyenoord over two legs, then AZ (or Groningen) over two legs and then - in August - a team like Shakhtar Donetsk over two legs. That's all it will take. Piece of cake.

K.
Still alive...

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » zo apr 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Yeah. We're very close to the CL now, aren't we. All we have to do is beat Feyenoord over two legs, then AZ (or Groningen) over two legs and then - in August - a team like Shakhtar Donetsk over two legs. That's all it will take. Piece of cake.
Oh, it's in the bag, for sure. ;)

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » zo apr 16, 2006 11:38 pm

Fucking playoffs :D Eredivisie is just looking for money, I say stick it.
Get a Cock

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » ma apr 17, 2006 1:18 am

Well you know as the saying goes " If life give's you a lemon, make some lemonade" nobody likes the freaking play-off's so let's just try to make the best of it ;)
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » ma apr 17, 2006 6:47 am

Matches against Feyenoord! It's the best thing these play-offs could have brought us. Unless we lose of course. I do hope Wesley Sneijder gets fit on time to play a role. Could be a big difference.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 17, 2006 9:42 am

The only team for which these play-offs are sh*t is of course AZ. They would normally have qualified for the third preliminary round of the CL, but they might miss out on it. The other three (Feyenoord, Ajax and Groningen) have at least what they would have had normally (a UEFA Cup slot), but are given another shot for the CL.

I don't like the whole idea, anyway.

K.
Still alive...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma apr 17, 2006 12:21 pm

yeah, if there were no playoffs then danny blind would have been shown the door weeks ago

DrDuncan

Bericht door DrDuncan » ma apr 17, 2006 12:48 pm

Historical note to this match. The only time Fword have beaten us 3 times in a season in the professional era was 1959-60. That year we won the league, beating them on goal difference. We won at De Meer, but lost at De Kuip.

However, the KNVB decided that the top 3 teams should play-off to decide who was entered for the European Cup. We lost both matches with Fword, and drew at home but lost away to PSV. Final placings were Fword 1st, PSV 2nd, Ajax 3rd.

So the KNVB entered Fword for the European Cup, and us and PSV for the Inter City Fairs Cup (forerunner of the UEFA Cup). But UEFA over-ruled them and insisted that, as we were the real champions, we should be in the European Cup. And there were no more play-offs until this season.

Will it happen again? I doubt it. Fair play probably counted for more than money in those days.

But I'm still hoping Fword can't beat us 3 times this season.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » ma apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Dr Duncan said:
But I'm still hoping Fword can't beat us 3 times this season.
They beat us twice already, I dont mind if they beat us once again, at the de Kuip that is, id say if we lose there 2-1, I would settle for that, aslong as we beat them at the Amsterdam Arena 2-0 :yes:

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » ma apr 17, 2006 2:20 pm

If Huntelaar scores more goals in the playoffs, would it count to his tally in the Topscorer Award in Europe?
Get a Cock

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » ma apr 17, 2006 3:31 pm

What channel is the play off games on? Is it on Nederlands 1 or 2 or SB something..i mean the same channel that shows the gatorade cup?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Ayman schreef:What channel is the play off games on? Is it on Nederlands 1 or 2 or SB something..i mean the same channel that shows the gatorade cup?
I think they'll be on the same channel as the rest of the Eredivisie games, namely live on Tele2 (pay-TV), followed by highlights on Talpa.

K.
Still alive...

DrDuncan

Bericht door DrDuncan » ma apr 17, 2006 4:57 pm

ZoefdeHaas wrote
If Huntelaar scores more goals in the playoffs, would it count to his tally in the Topscorer Award in Europe?
Uefa.com says they will not.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 17, 2006 10:27 pm

kraz11 schreef:im new here on the site :)
im a big ajax fan from israel
say...when will be the second game against f-word?
K.
Still alive...

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di apr 18, 2006 3:52 am

DrDuncan schreef:
ZoefdeHaas schreef:If Huntelaar scores more goals in the playoffs, would it count to his tally in the Topscorer Award in Europe?
Uefa.com says they will not.
That doesn't really make sense. I mean different leagues have different numbers of "regular" season games anyway, so what difference does it make in this case? Perhaps because in this situation different KNVB teams have different numbers of games, but this is the case for teams in European competitions anyway. Maybe it's UEFA's way of deprecating the playoffs... who knows.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di apr 18, 2006 10:01 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
The ironic thing is: we have a bad feeling about this, but I am convinced the same goes for F-word...
K.
their league games against Ajax are the only positive things about their season so far, so let's make sure their season eventually is utter disgrace
Appie, stay strong !

AFC-AJAX
Contacteer:

Bericht door AFC-AJAX » wo apr 19, 2006 11:01 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
Ayman schreef:What channel is the play off games on? Is it on Nederlands 1 or 2 or SB something..i mean the same channel that shows the gatorade cup?
I think they'll be on the same channel as the rest of the Eredivisie games, namely live on Tele2 (pay-TV), followed by highlights on Talpa.

K.

yo dude i think it's going to be showed on sbs6 because all the games of the gatorate cup was showed there

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » wo apr 19, 2006 11:37 am

No way. Its Tele2 and the highlights on Talpa.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo apr 19, 2006 11:38 am

talpa's site shows 1st games wed highlights at 10:30pm and Thursdays highlights at 10:00pm.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 19, 2006 11:54 am

AFC-AJAX schreef:yo dude i think it's going to be showed on sbs6 because all the games of the gatorate cup was showed there
What in the world does the Gatorade Cup have to do with this?

These are Eredivisie games. They're not even post-season play-offs; they're officially part of the Eredivisie season.

Tele2 for the live games; highlights on Talpa.

K.
Still alive...

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » wo apr 19, 2006 1:07 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:They're not even post-season play-offs; they're officially part of the Eredivisie season.
Isn't it strange then that suspensions are not carried over and that goals made in the play-offs don't count towards the list of topscorers?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Arthur schreef:Isn't it strange then that suspensions are not carried over and that goals made in the play-offs don't count towards the list of topscorers?
Yes, indeed. Very strange. It shows that the KNVB have no clue.

But it really is true. Back in the 1960s (and for a while in the late 1980s) the Dutch Eredivisie had post-season play-offs in the form of what we would call a nacompetitie. In the 1960s the Dutch participant in the European Champions Cup was determined; in the 1980s a couple of UEFA Cup tickets were at stake.

This system was over-ruled by the UEFA. They did not allow it, because they felt the teams had to qualify for UEFA competition via the league, rather than via some post-season thingy.

In order to avoid that this time, the KNVB integrated the play-offs in the Eredivisie season this time. According to the schedules on KNVB.nl the winner of the play-offs will officially be Holland's #2 of the 2005-2006 season.

Which makes it very strange that suspensions don't count in the play-offs and that goals scored in the play-offs don't count for the list of topscorers. It also makes it very strange that we, Ajax supporters, have to pay for our tickets and that our season tickets are invalid...

Makes me very cynical. It's one of the reasons why I hate these play-offs and why I will still hate them if we make it to the Champions League.

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie