22 Feb 2007: Ajax - SV Werder Bremen

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 23, 2007 10:54 am

Ten Cate is a funny guy. When watching the deserted 80% empty Arena many words came to my mind but not "pride". Werder Bremen had stolen the first leg game, with the help of the referee. So all they had to do was to score once, and then sit back.
I watched the game on the German tv channel ZDF, my German is very poor, but one painful comment that I could understand about Ajax was : "die grosse Jahren sind vorbei." And that's exactly what I did not want to hear again.
Our European campaign was a disaster.

We have a better squad, with better individuals than the previous seasons, but we can't make the best out of it : the game against excelsior was very much like our bad games from the past.

http://www.ajaxfotoside.net/0607thuis/bremen/109.jpg
Appie, stay strong !

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Eurosport showed 10 mins of highlights. I noted that Roger ,at leftback position jumped out of the way before their goal , just like Lindenbergh on Sunday.

Point I am making we have no left backs or players who can play that position, with Urby and Vermaelen out. Urby may be fit for AZ which is a relief .

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 23, 2007 12:59 pm

don't know when Urby will be back, but we badly miss him indeed
Appie, stay strong !

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr feb 23, 2007 5:50 pm

SPL schreef: Point I am making we have no left backs or players who can play that position, with Urby and Vermaelen out.
Ajax played with 3 defenders yesterday and it works, im my opinion, good. But you're right - Emanuelson will be a big change.

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » za feb 24, 2007 1:49 pm

philippe schreef:I watched the game on the German tv channel ZDF, my German is very poor, but one painful comment that I could understand about Ajax was : "die grosse Jahren sind vorbei." And that's exactly what I did not want to hear again.
Indeed that's what he said, but the commentator was utter shit not knowing the players previous clubs, refering to '95 as the last time Ajax had had any success in Europe, calling Sneijder the only threat of the night etc. He kept on calling the wrong names of players who had possession too. Anyways, I know that's not your point, but I just wanted to point out that he was a twat..

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo feb 25, 2007 4:52 pm

philippe schreef: the deserted 80% empty Arena
Time for some comments on the game. It was disappointing to see empty seats at all but it certainly wasn't 80% empty. I've not seen the crowd figure but from where I was it seemed about 2 thirds full.

Back to the game anyway, I have to confess that due perhaps to one two many before the game, I don't remember much of the first half (though I did see both goals) but the second half was a cracker, especially towards the end when we really did have them on the ropes and could/should have won it. I posted on here last week that I just wanted to see a good game and get some pride back even if we didn't go through - happy to say that we managed that task with extra to spare and, if it wasn't for the silly goal conceded we should and would have gone through.

It was the first leg that really did us though, as has already been discussed here.

As I spent Friday in Haarlem watching their game against Cambuur Leeuwarden (3-1 win), I'd like to be posting on this site about how well or otherwise Boerrigter played for them. Sadly I can't as he was an unused substitute (probably says it all really, they are having a poor season).
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » zo feb 25, 2007 4:56 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef: but the second half was a cracker, especially towards the end when we really did have them on the ropes and could/should have won it.
Psssst, we did win it! Stil not sober? ;)
I think I lost my fucking headache

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo feb 25, 2007 6:36 pm

Muisje Andersom schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef: but the second half was a cracker, especially towards the end when we really did have them on the ropes and could/should have won it.
Psssst, we did win it! Stil not sober? ;)
A-ha, yes, I meant won it over-all. Nice to see someone is paying attention ;)
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Plaats reactie