06 AUG 2022; Fortuna Sittard - Ajax; Match Day 1

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

06 AUG 2022; Fortuna Sittard - Ajax; Match Day 1

Bericht door Orange14 » ma aug 01, 2022 9:35 pm

After the exhibition loss to PSV for the second straight year, Ajax open the season for real this Saturday. Ajax are on the road to play Fortuna Sittard. Our new defender, Calvin Bassey, received a two game suspension for his reckless challenge in the Cruyff Shield match and will miss this one and the Groningen game.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Re: 06 AUG 2022; Fortuna Sittard - Ajax; Match Day 1

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 03, 2022 9:18 pm

Bad news for US Ajax supporters. After four years, ESPN+ is dropping coverage of the Eredivisie. They have so much other soccer (Spain, Germany, US pro and college) that it was only a matter of time that low viewer matches were dropped. I am disappointed in this decision but understand it. No other outlet in the US has announced that they will pick up these games.

It turns out Alvarez is also suspended from Saturday's match as a YC he picked up in the final game last season put him over the limit and the suspension carries through.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » vr aug 05, 2022 3:46 am

oh no. has this been confirmed? last year we had this same scenario and contract ended up being renewed so I’m praying it will be the case tomorrow as well. if not, what are the options for watching live games in the us?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr aug 05, 2022 12:32 pm

kezme44 schreef:
vr aug 05, 2022 3:46 am
oh no. has this been confirmed? last year we had this same scenario and contract ended up being renewed so I’m praying it will be the case tomorrow as well. if not, what are the options for watching live games in the us?
Someone posted to ESPN+ Twitter feed asking about this and ESPN confirmed that they will not be carrying Eredivisie matches. This might change, but their original contract expired a year ago and they only renewed for one season. In terms of choices, the best approach is to get an IPTV subscription. there are a lot of vendors around and I have been using this one for the past year: https://www.torpedoiptv.com/ I pay about $120/year for the service and I think they offer 10,000 or so channels. I get a stream link that gets pasted into VLC Media player and use that for streaming. There are a number of sites and YouTube videos that cover this and Google will be your friend. Which ever service you end up choosing, my suggestion is to get a 3 month subscription and try it out. Some of the services will go out of business and you will lose your subscription fee.

I wish things were better for us but ESPN+ has so much soccer content these days (Germany, Spain, US pro and college) that I guess they are dropping things with low viewer ship. It might have been different had Ajax won the Champions League last year.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » vr aug 05, 2022 5:42 pm

thank you. I will try this. It’s really a pity ESPN decided to pull the plug on us coverage. I hope they enjoy the viewership they’ll get from rayo vallecano vs valladolid games. will be canceling my ESPN + subscription and let them know the reason

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 06, 2022 3:27 pm

Lineup: Passveer; Rensch, Timber\, Schuurs, Wijndal; Blind, Berghuis, Taylor; Bergwijn, Tadich, Antony

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » za aug 06, 2022 3:43 pm

not a great start and schuurs was very slow but still the whole game to play. I’m also still undecided if I like those away jerseys or not

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 06, 2022 4:22 pm

Awful half of football. Fortuna up 1-0. Bergwijn could not control a ball near midfield and Blind was too slow to react and let a pass go to the attacker who beat Schuurs easily and was in for a free shot on Pasveer. Ajax had the ball in some good close positions but could not get a shot off. Blind is a disaster in the MF, way too slow. Schuurs was decent after the bonehead play but needs to leave. Tadic is no longer a starter, sad to say.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za aug 06, 2022 4:23 pm

A lot of players standing still, midfield invisible. Either Berghuis or Taylor will surely be subbed…?

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » za aug 06, 2022 5:05 pm

magallan??

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 06, 2022 5:31 pm

My wife and I went ot for a walk ,had hoped to come back for 2nd half but int he end it was 10 mins to go and could not get a stream.

Clearly missed nothing in the 1st half but 3-2 against a poor side is not good. Magallan as a sub , speechless. Schuurs should now demand a transfer if he gets 46 and Magallan gets 20 mins .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 06, 2022 5:38 pm

three VAR decisions and Ajax got two of them which were two of the three goals in the 2nd half. A great free kick from Burak Yilmaz made it 2-3 but Ajax scrambled the ball away every time it got close to Pasveer's goal. Brobbey ended up with the match winner. Any thoughts of moving Blind into the MF were ended with this match (I hope) as he is just too slow and cannot defend the position.

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (6) - no chance on either goal but did not have a save to make and his kicking was sub-par
Rensch (5.5) - had some nice runs and got the 2nd goal but he was easily beaten by slower players, a disappointing match
Timber (6) - decent enough
Schuurs (5.5) - partly responsible for the first goal from Fortuna along with Blind and subbed off at half time; could be his last match in an Ajax shirt
Wijndal (6) - OK match but nothing special
Blind (4.5) - bad in the MF and better at CB in the 2nd half
Taylor (6.5) - one of the better players on the field with some good quickness, runs and passing
Berghuis (4) - undistinguished to be charitable
Antony (5) - aimless cross after aimless cross but did track back and defend
Tadic (5.5) - I don't think he is an automatic starter anymore and Brobbey was much more dangerous as a striker
Bergwijn (6) - had a nice goal called by by VAR
Brobbey (6) - had the match winner but should have had another goal when he had the ball inside the box but his feet got tangled up
Klaassen (6) - worked really hard as always and was the recipient of a nice cross in for the first goal
Magallan (NR) - on for Rensch late and didn't have much to do
Kudus (NR) - very late sub

Schreuder still has a lot to sort out. Alvarez is back next week and Bassey the week after. Groningen up next weekend.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 06, 2022 5:40 pm

kezme44 schreef:
za aug 06, 2022 5:05 pm
magallan??
He didn't do anything wrong which is a net positive to me! :smile-ajax.gif:

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » za aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm

I suppose you are right! maybe it’s a plot to give him some playing and sell him this transfer window

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 06, 2022 6:17 pm

2 games and Orange makes Taylor best rating for both games.I rate the guy highly.Defence is a problem clearly hope Sanchez is a decent RB.Need to buy a quality young RCD and sell Schuurs and Magallan.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo aug 07, 2022 3:51 am

Funny, up to now I haven’t been impressed by Taylor at all. He seems to run hard and move the ball forward quickly (which is good), but the end result is often dribbling into trouble or a bad pass. Reminds me of Viktor Fischer!

Just how I’ve seen it so far - Schreuder and co. obviously rate him since he’s got shirt #8

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo aug 07, 2022 1:44 pm

Tom_ schreef:
zo aug 07, 2022 3:51 am
Funny, up to now I haven’t been impressed by Taylor at all. He seems to run hard and move the ball forward quickly (which is good), but the end result is often dribbling into trouble or a bad pass. Reminds me of Viktor Fischer!

Just how I’ve seen it so far - Schreuder and co. obviously rate him since he’s got shirt #8
How about the cross in that either Klaassen got a brief touch on or it was actually a Taylor goal. I've been a fan ever since he was with the U-19s and on the youth NT that made a run in the Euros. IMO, he might be better than Gravenberch in the end but we will have to see if that happens.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm

You all would have seen more of him than me and I trust your judgement! True, that was a perfect cross for the equaliser.

Plaats reactie