General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

kezme44

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door kezme44 » do sep 08, 2022 8:17 pm

for folks still looking to get new jerseys, I ordered both the away and 3rd jerseys and both are very nice and worth getting. the blue away kit is made of probably best material of any Ajax jerseys before, very light and airy, while the 3rd kit is a daily paper collaboration and reminds me of the 96/97 kits that had printed Amsterdam landmarks on it. for people in the us, fanatics has the away kit, adidas has the third kit. if you are in nyc, the daily paper store in the Bowery also has the 3rd kit

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr sep 09, 2022 4:11 pm

kezme44 schreef:
do sep 08, 2022 8:17 pm
for folks still looking to get new jerseys, I ordered both the away and 3rd jerseys and both are very nice and worth getting. the blue away kit is made of probably best material of any Ajax jerseys before, very light and airy, while the 3rd kit is a daily paper collaboration and reminds me of the 96/97 kits that had printed Amsterdam landmarks on it. for people in the us, fanatics has the away kit, adidas has the third kit. if you are in nyc, the daily paper store in the Bowery also has the 3rd kit
Thanks for the heads up. Might actually buy both away kits from the store. I think the Times Square store has the 3rd kit also.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm

There is a very nice article in today's New York Times on Ajax and the issues the club faces being a feeder club: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/13/spor ... eague.html Our former moderator Menno Pot is mentioned and it looks like he has a new book out on Ajax. I don't know if it is in English or not.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma okt 10, 2022 8:16 pm

The Swiss Ramble has just posted his analysis of Ajax fiances: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1579 ... 87040.html He's the most reliable person around on this topic.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » di okt 11, 2022 8:35 pm

thanks for posting, interesting read. I almost forgot Ajax was a public company. hope no one here owns stock

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 12, 2022 4:11 pm

kezme44 schreef:
di okt 11, 2022 8:35 pm
thanks for posting, interesting read. I almost forgot Ajax was a public company. hope no one here owns stock
It's complicated to do so here in the US as it is only traded on the Amsterdam exchange and you can't buy shares through a traditional brokerage account.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 12, 2022 5:40 pm

I think something like 75% of the shares are in Ajax's name.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr okt 14, 2022 1:23 pm

Just for fun I compiled the following list of Ajax players brought into the club during Marc Overmars term as technical director. I cannot claim this is 100% accurate and I've not included a bunch of youth players who moved to the Ajax academy as 16 year olds. Some of the players were also older and bought as a one or two year stop gap. While there were some outstanding purchases, there were also a bunch of lemons. Maybe some of this is due to poor scouting or a panic buy but the over all record is indeed quite spotty. I put an asterisk after those transfers that I believe were outstanding for the team based on player performance and sell on value.

Sana
van der Hoorn
Lerin Duarte
Poulsen
Sigthorrson
Onana*
Viergever
Sinkgraven
Milik*
Zivkovic
Gudelj
Younes
Davison Sanchez*
Westermann
Frenkie de Jong*
Schone*
Cassieria
Ziyech*
Orejuela
Taliafico*
Wober
Neres*
Varela
Blind*
Magallan
Labyad
Bande
Danilo
Lassana Traore
Tadic*
Scherpen
Alvarez*
Perie
Marin
L. Martinez*
Promes
Gorter
Antony*
Pasveer
Klaiber
Schuurs
Berghuis*

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma nov 21, 2022 8:10 pm

Orange14 schreef:
ma okt 10, 2022 8:16 pm
The Swiss Ramble has just posted his analysis of Ajax fiances: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1579 ... 87040.html He's the most reliable person around on this topic.
I have corresponded with The Swiss Ramble over the years on financial matters and football. When Twitter started to melt down following the Musk takeover I sent a note to him advising him to move to Substack. I got an email from him today saying he has done so. His newsletters on club finances and football will be free to subscribers. You can find the link to his here: https://substack.com/search/The%20Swiss%20Ramble Just click on it and it will take you to the site where you can subscribe.

zeux

Bericht door zeux » ma nov 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Orange14 schreef:
vr okt 14, 2022 1:23 pm
Just for fun I compiled the following list of Ajax players brought into the club during Marc Overmars term as technical director. I cannot claim this is 100% accurate and I've not included a bunch of youth players who moved to the Ajax academy as 16 year olds. Some of the players were also older and bought as a one or two year stop gap. While there were some outstanding purchases, there were also a bunch of lemons. Maybe some of this is due to poor scouting or a panic buy but the over all record is indeed quite spotty. I put an asterisk after those transfers that I believe were outstanding for the team based on player performance and sell on value.

Sana
van der Hoorn
Lerin Duarte
Poulsen
Sigthorrson
Onana*
Viergever
Sinkgraven
Milik*
Zivkovic
Gudelj
Younes
Davison Sanchez*
Westermann
Frenkie de Jong*
Schone*
Cassieria
Ziyech*
Orejuela
Taliafico*
Wober
Neres*
Varela
Blind*
Magallan
Labyad
Bande
Danilo
Lassana Traore
Tadic*
Scherpen
Alvarez*
Perie
Marin
L. Martinez*
Promes
Gorter
Antony*
Pasveer
Klaiber
Schuurs
Berghuis*
If you do the same analysis of PL/Spanish/Italian clubs - with all those zillions to spend - you will get a same list, maybe even more lobsided (to the 'negative' balace). Football is no exact science. More signings won't work than will work.

If you break it down, this is the successful bunch, in about 10 years time:

Onana*
Milik*
Davison Sanchez*
Frenkie de Jong*
Schone*
Taliafico*
Neres*
Blind*
Tadic*
Alvarez*
L. Martinez*
Antony*
Berghuis*

A 30% success rate

(I would have added Pasveer given his clean sheet up until the moment he got injured: 33% success rate)

And you missed Haller... (15 - including Pasveer - out of 43 signings: a 34% success rate).

This lot brought championships and (great) European success.

What else should you ask?
And a great financial success to add to that.

I think Overmars - all in all - did a phenomenal job. Brought Ajax back to the European top and great fnancial stability.
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma nov 21, 2022 11:35 pm

zeux schreef:
ma nov 21, 2022 10:02 pm

If you do the same analysis of PL/Spanish/Italian clubs - with all those zillions to spend - you will get a same list, maybe even more lobsided (to the 'negative' balace). Football is no exact science. More signings won't work than will work.

Onana*
Milik*
Davison Sanchez*
Frenkie de Jong*
Schone*
Taliafico*
Neres*
Blind*
Tadic*
Alvarez*
L. Martinez*
Antony*
Berghuis*

A 30% success rate

(I would have added Pasveer given his clean sheet up until the moment he got injured: 33% success rate)

And you missed Haller... (15 - including Pasveer - out of 43 signings: a 34% success rate).

I think Overmars - all in all - did a phenomenal job. Brought Ajax back to the European top and great fnancial stability.
Yes, I missed Haller which was a mistake. I agree in part about Overmars doing a good job. I disagree that he had anything at all to do with financial stability, that was the responsibility of the Board and in part also a result of sale value of players which can not be predicted in advance. de Ligt, de Jong, and Ziyech brought in €100m and that adds to the Ajax bottom line and allows them to spend more in the transfer market. It potentially could have been more had Neres and Tagliafico been sold sooner. Overmars was untested when he came into the job at Ajax and must be given a positive grade. It's a shame that his personal problems left the team no choice to continue with him. I have no clue at this point whether Hamstra and/or Huntelaar are good enough. I sure hope they don't bring Danny Blind into that position.

zeux

Bericht door zeux » di nov 22, 2022 12:54 am

Orange14 schreef:
ma nov 21, 2022 11:35 pm
zeux schreef:
ma nov 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Onana*
Milik*
Davison Sanchez*
Frenkie de Jong*
Schone*
Taliafico*
Neres*
Blind*
Tadic*
Alvarez*
L. Martinez*
Antony*
Berghuis*

A 30% success rate

Yes, I missed Haller which was a mistake. I agree in part about Overmars doing a good job. I disagree that he had anything at all to do with financial stability, that was the responsibility of the Board and in part also a result of sale value of players which can not be predicted in advance. de Ligt, de Jong, and Ziyech brought in €100m and that adds to the Ajax bottom line and allows them to spend more in the transfer market. It potentially could have been more had Neres and Tagliafico been sold sooner. Overmars was untested when he came into the job at Ajax and must be given a positive grade. It's a shame that his personal problems left the team no choice to continue with him. I have no clue at this point whether Hamstra and/or Huntelaar are good enough. I sure hope they don't bring Danny Blind into that position.
You can also argue that Overmars was ultimately responsible for all the dealing around transfers - in and out - and that he was quite good at it. Buying low, selling high. The net transfer gains the past past ten seasons is through the roof. He had a big role in that.

Would the result of the transfer window this summer have been the same with Overmars at the helm? I don't think so.
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di nov 22, 2022 9:18 pm

zeux schreef:
di nov 22, 2022 12:54 am

You can also argue that Overmars was ultimately responsible for all the dealing around transfers - in and out - and that he was quite good at it. Buying low, selling high. The net transfer gains the past past ten seasons is through the roof. He had a big role in that.

Would the result of the transfer window this summer have been the same with Overmars at the helm? I don't think so.
Absolutely. The Swiss Ramble covered Ajax finances earlier this year and commented on that as well. What I wonder is who had responsibility for the scouting reports. There were some real clinkers such as Daramy.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr apr 21, 2023 7:44 pm

My local team Brighton are at Wembley on Sunday v Manu .A few of my pals are going and think Brighton will win . They have only one moan about Manu and thats Harry Maguire is suspended and will be missing. They all say Maguire is utter rubbish and anyone else playing can only be better.They all say Martinez is Manu's best defender which is good to hear.

Brighton are 7th and doing superbly well this season .They are owned by a local millionaire who has been a lifelong fan, so he knows what he is doing.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma jun 05, 2023 11:42 pm

All Eredivisie sides have voted to play only on grass or blended pitches starting with the 24/25 season. That's big news! We usually do really poorly with the 4-6 games we play on artificial turf each year.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jun 06, 2023 1:39 pm

Ajax will be in Pot One for the Europa League draw assuming they get past the playoff round. this is important as they would NOT be drawn in the same group as Liverpool, Villareal, Roma, Bayer Leverkusen, or Atalanta. They will also be seeded in the playoff game, but it's too early to say who the opponent will be as that will be dependent on the earlier qualifying matches.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jun 09, 2023 3:54 pm

There is some good news on the financial front. Ajax earned more from commercial activities than PSV and Feyenoord combined. Ajax brought in €119,500,000 from match day revenue, merchandise, TV, and partnerships.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma jun 12, 2023 2:52 pm

Lets spend the money wisely this year and hopefully not do a repeat of last year.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jun 27, 2023 10:22 pm

Jong Oranje crash out of the Euros with three non-descript draws. Brobbey went off today after 20 minutes with a leg injury of some kind; he was able to walk back to the bench. Zirksee came on and was bad, don't see him making it at a major team. Taylor played all three matches at #10 and was fairly decent. Gravenberch was quite poor though he had to play deep today as Q Timber picked up YCs in the first two games and was suspended. van der Looi was the manager and quite poor both in player selection and tactics. He had Ekkelenkamp playing RW in all three games. Rensch started the first two games and was mediocre.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo jun 28, 2023 11:22 am

Dreadful performances especially not beating Georgia,but vd Looi has been a dreadful coach.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » wo jun 28, 2023 2:14 pm

Orange14 schreef:
di jun 27, 2023 10:22 pm
He had Ekkelenkamp playing RW in all three games. Rensch started the first two games and was mediocre.
Rensch... mediocre... First time I've heard that :drecul.gif:

Ekkelenkamp as RW. Right...
May the Force be with you

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » wo jun 28, 2023 8:50 pm

it’ll be interesting to see what happens with gravenberch. he’s been hardly getting any playing time at bayern and not sure who else would start him besides a mid tier team in Germany or a bottom tier team in england.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo jun 28, 2023 9:01 pm

kezme44 schreef:
wo jun 28, 2023 8:50 pm
it’ll be interesting to see what happens with gravenberch. he’s been hardly getting any playing time at bayern and not sure who else would start him besides a mid tier team in Germany or a bottom tier team in england.
Gravenberch is a better version of Bazoer, another player who thought he had an inflated value and was totally wrong. the only young players to move abroad (2-3 years at Ajax) and succeed have been de Ligt and maybe van der Vaart.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr jun 30, 2023 8:13 pm

Gravenberch had a really good 2nd half of his last season with us. Besides that he's never impressed me. I was quite shocked to see him move last year and he's reaping the consequences of his bad choices now.

Frans

Bericht door Frans » ma jul 03, 2023 12:11 am

Orange14 schreef:
wo jun 28, 2023 9:01 pm
kezme44 schreef:
wo jun 28, 2023 8:50 pm
Gravenberch is a better version of Bazoer, another player who thought he had an inflated value and was totally wrong. the only young players to move abroad (2-3 years at Ajax) and succeed have been de Ligt and maybe van der Vaart.
What's your definition of young, and what's your definition of success?

If Van der Vaart was young (22 when he left), then you'll need to include players like Eriksen, Frenkie de Jong, Nigel de Jong, Zlatan, Babel.

Also, just because someone doesn't become a superstar, doesn't mean they don't have a successful career. Did Babel have a successful career? 69 International caps would indicate he did something right. Has Noa Lang's move abroad been successful?

Plaats reactie